What is Google 2-Step Verification (G2SV)?
Google 2-Step Verification is a two-step authentication service that provides a second layer of protection to increase security of passwords and password-protected data, network application data, intellectual property, and user accounts of faculty, staff, and students.
Enabling Google 2-Step is the single-most effective measure towards protecting your WFU Google account.
You sign in with something you know (your password) and something you have (a code sent to your phone, printed backup codes, or a security key).
More information can be found in the Google 2-Step Verification FAQ.
2-Step Verification Requirement
After careful consideration and substantial discussion with campus technology advisory committees, the university is requiring all faculty and staff enable Google 2-Step Verification to their university account by December 4, 2017.
Students are required to enroll in Google 2-Step Verification by March 12, 2018. This security measure brings us in line with many of our peer institutions.
Prior to the enrollment dates, users may encounter the following message when logging into their WFU Google accounts:
Easily log in with 2-Step Verification
Using 2-Step Verification does not have to be difficult or time consuming. Several login options are available after you enter your password:
- Google Prompt app – the easiest method to log in. Google Prompt will prompt the user with a “Trying to sign in?” notification. Simply select “Yes” or “No.”
- Google Authenticator app – the Authenticator app works even if a user is offline and doesn’t have cell service. The app continuously generates new codes that you can use to log in.
- Text Message – a user receives a text message with a temporary code used to log in. This method is dependent on having cell service.
- Backup Codes – print a list of “one-time use” backups codes.
- Security Key – users that don’t have or don’t want to use a phone can leave a USB security key inserted in their computer. 2-Step Verification will authenticate as long at the USB key is present.