The Distributed Environment for Academic Computing (DEAC) is Wake Forest University’s High-Performance Computing (HPC) Cluster. The facility was established in July 2002 to provide a centralized research computing environment for the entire University. The HPC Team provides a stable, robust, and accessible resource that allows the education and research communities to focus on their primary mission. Some benefits of the cluster are:
- Flexibility: The cluster and its staff support new technologies as they arise, such as thin client support for research computing or general-purpose GPU computing.
- Reliability: The computational platform is maintained by professional staff, dedicated to the facility.
- Scalability: The cluster can meet the needs of small research groups with big research problems or large research groups with many small research problems.
- Support: As high performance computing continues to grow into disciplines not traditionally accustomed to large computational environments, the dedicated staff provides training to new user groups.
The HPC Team supports the computational research community through:
- Code Compilation: We assist cluster users with compiling software to meet their research needs.
- Computational and Storage Resources: We design, install, maintain, and upgrade the WFU DEAC Cluster facility.
- Education and Training: From guest lecturing in computational courses to cluster tutorials to advanced programming design assistance, we are available to assist research groups in efficiently using the cluster.
Users of the DEAC Cluster should refer to the DEAC User Wiki for new user information, cluster specific information, quick start guides, detailed information about specific software available, recent changes and more.
Request an Account
Any faculty member of Wake Forest University’s Reynolda campus may request an account for use of the DEAC Cluster. An account will be granted to a faculty member pursuing active research or developing innovative course curriculum requiring the use of resources provided by the DEAC Cluster. You can view the full User Account Policy here.
Several licensed software packages have been acquired and/or maintained by the DEAC Cluster facility for the benefit of research computing. The facility also makes available some research computing focused software that is licensed for the entire Wake Forest University community.
Wake Forest University faculty, staff, or students with an active cluster account may request software installation on the DEAC Cluster.
Please note: if you are not a faculty member, your software request will need to be approved by a faculty sponsor. You may speed up the software installation process by having your faculty sponsor send an email to the support team (firstname.lastname@example.org) indicating your request is supported.