Scanning Channels on your TV
After hooking up the coax cable, your TV still won’t work! You may receive the analog channels (anything under 36), but a channel scan is required to pick up the digital channels.
The channel scan process is simple, but varies between manufacturer and model.
- First, ensure that the TV is in Cable mode, instead of Air or Antenna (these modes are for “bunny ears,” not cable TV).
- Some TVs will ask what kind of cable channel scan you want to do. Choose Cable STD (Cable Standard) if given the option – do no select HRC or IRC.
- If prompted, choose to scan for analog and digital channels.
- The channel scan will take approximately 5-30 minutes, depending on the TV.
- After the scan completes, you should see the lower quality analog channels (35 and under), and the high-quality HD channels (36.1 and up).
Here’s an example of how to scan channels on an LG TV. To find more information on your specific model, simply Google search “your-model” channel scan.