Google Groups for classes (Faculty FAQ)
To email your class you can now simply type the class name in the “To:” field of the WFU Google Mail compose email window (e.g. PHY-113 or General Physics) and select the email address (e.g. PHY-113-B-FAfirstname.lastname@example.org ) corresponding to your class. The students enrolled in your class will receive the email. As students add or drop classes they will be automatically added or removed as recipients for messages sent to the class email address.
When a student adds/drops a class, how long does it take for the student to be automatically added/removed to/from the group?
Up to 12 hours.
How can I see a list of all the groups I am a member of?
- Sign in to WFU Google Mail (http://google.wfu.edu)
- Choose App launcher
- Select Groups
- Select “My groups”
Will the group email address appear in the autocomplete function when I compose an email?
Yes. The email address of a Google group created in our Google Apps domain will appear in the autocomplete function. However, Google groups corresponding to classes taught in the past will not show up in the autocomplete function. Only current semester classes will show up in the autocomplete function.
Will my group be deleted when the semester is over?
No. The group will continue to exist until it no longer has any student members (i.e. students have graduated and no longer have an active WFU account)
I shared a Google Drive folder/file with my group email address. How can the students that added my class at a later time access this folder/file?
The students that added your class after you initially shared the folder must obtain the link to the shared folder. You can, for example, post this link in the welcome message of your group or send it via email to your class.
As instructor, to obtain the link:
- Visit https://drive.google.com
- Locate the shared folder/file
- Right-click on the shared folder/file
- Select “Share…”
- Select “Advanced”
- Copy the link under “Link to share”
- Post this link in the welcome message of your group and/or send the link via email to your class
I created and shared a new Google calendar with my group email address. How can the students that added my class at a later time access this calendar?
The students that added your class after you initially shared the calendar must obtain the calendar ID.
As instructor, to obtain the calendar ID:
- Open Google Calendar on a computer
- On the left, find My Calendars. You may need to click to expand it
- Find the calendar and click the arrow next to it
- Select “Calendar settings”
- The calendar ID is listed in the Calendar Address section (e.g. email@example.com)
- Post this calendar ID to the welcome message of your group or send it via email to your class.
As a student enrolled in the class after the calendar was initially shared with the class:
- Open Google Calendar
- On the left side, find Other calendars
- In the Add a friend’s calendar enter the other calendar ID obtained above
- Click Enter
Can I add a teaching assistant or another instructor to the group?
No. Any manual modifications to group membership will be overwritten the next time the class roster is synced.
Who can send messages to my class email address?
By default, the instructor and all students enrolled in the class can post messages to the class email address. More information on setting group permissions can be found in this Google help article.
I teach an independent study class with only one student. Where is my group?
Groups for classes are created automatically when a class has 2 or more students.