Bring your own Device (BYOD) Requirements
In order to support a portable learning environment, every student is required to bring a laptop to campus. The minimum configuration requirements for any model laptop, whether or not purchased through the WakeWare program, are listed below. Requirements are updated every spring.
- Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
- Processor: Intel core i5
- Memory: 8GB
- Hard Drive: 256 SSD
- Antivirus Protection: Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are recommended to protect your device and are pre-installed on your Windows computer.
- Operating System: OS X 10.13
- Processor: Intel Core i5
- Memory: 16GB
- Hard Drive: 256 SSD
- Antivirus Protection: Sophos is recommended to protect your device. Consult this page for information on installing the Sophos home user version.
16GB of RAM is required on all Apple laptops because, in some situations, you may need to run a virtual environment software, VM Fusion, that allows you to partition the memory of your laptop to simultaneously run Mac and Windows operating systems. VM Fusion is available for download at software @ WFU.
If you are considering a degree in the Wake Forest University School of Business, we recommend a Windows laptop. School of Business faculty may require students to run Microsoft Office applications, such as Excel, with Windows-only plugins that are incompatible with the Mac version of Office. Pay strict attention to the minimum configuration requirements if you prefer an Apple laptop. If your Apple laptop does not meet the minimum requirements, you will be unable to efficiently run the Windows platform.
Assistance with BYOD devices is available on a best-effort basis.
- Assistance with basic configuration and general questions regarding wireless connectivity, WFU account questions and email configuration will be provided at the Service Desk at no charge to students.
- Hardware repair requests will only be received Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
- Apple, Dell, and Lenovo ThinkPad laptops can be serviced by the Service Desk at no charge for warranty repairs. Charges to students for parts and labor will apply if repairs are not under warranty. If available, a loaner computer may be provided, although the availability of a loaner computer is not guaranteed.
- Other model computers (Acer, Toshiba, ASUS, HP, etc.) cannot be serviced by the Service Desk.
- The Service Desk will provide a list of local repair facilities in Winston-Salem. Students can also contact the vendor’s sales/support for their shipping instructions for computer repair.